10 Surprising Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Tomato
Tomato is an edible fruit that people cultivate wide across the globe. It belongs to the family of ‘Solanum lycopersicum’. Tomatoes are rich in beneficial nutrients and antioxidants and are a rich source of vitamins A and C and folic acid. Tomatoes are nutritious and thereby have a lot of benefits they contribute to the health. They also contain beneficial phytochemicals that are vital to the health, such as lycopene.
The health benefits of eating tomatoes include;
1. A tomato is a good source of antioxidants, this makes it possible for it to help us combat the formation of free radicals known to cause cancer. Also, ‘lycopene’ that is present in tomatoes help in the prevention of prostate cancer.
2. Tomatoes are good for the skin, they help in maintaining a healthy and infections-free skin. The application of tomato juice is even known to cure severe sunburns and other skin related conditions.
3. They are also low in sodium, thereby, they help us to maintain a good and healthy blood pressure.
4. Tomato intake also reduces or prevents urinary tract infections and the cancer of the bladder inclusive. They also help to remove unwanted toxins from the body and can also stimulate urination.
5. Also, tomatoes contain vitamin A and this is good for eye health, it helps to prevent macular degeneration and improves eyesight.
6. Tomato is also good for digestion, it prevents constipation, indigestion, and diarrhea.
7. The lycopene in tomatoes also prevent serum lipid oxidation, it has a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases. Tomatoes help to reduce cholesterol level.
8. They also protect the heart, tomato contains fiber, potassium, vitamin C and other nutrients that support heart health.
9. Also, the fiber contents in tomatoes help to fight diabetes.
10. A tomato also contains folic acid and this may help with depression, it lifts the hormones from the zone of depression.